Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The next chapter. And a new list (all my unemployed friends raise yo' hands!)

Anyway, Sorry it's been awhile...actually, a long time. No, I'm not dead. I'm just unemployed.
Let's get'cha caught up...

I didn't think it would happen, and after 2 months of studying, homework and more school than I could bare...
I Graduated!



My rock, my life, and my love. I'm so blessed to have this girl.

I did something no one in my family has ever done. I know my grandmother would be so proud of me. August 6th, 2011 I graduated with a degree from my dream school, and it feels good to be on top of the mountain for once.I think I can consider myself a living, breathing example that you can do anything, no matter how many times you're told "No.". Like a modern day Rudy.


It's been a weird experience, but I have managed. I moved back with my folks in Sulphur Springs. It's been nice to relax and get to catch up with them after being 7 hours away for 3 years.

My parents are so proud, and so supportive in this time of my life. Like I said, I'm currently unemployed. I'm currently looking for a early career job in the Banking Industry in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. (I've wanted to be a banker since I was 8) Needless to say, looking for work has consumed my day-to-day life. But it usually ends up being me, my laptop, in a recliner with the TV on.


My day-to-day.
 I know people say "Life's tough, get a helmet." And "Life isn't as easy as you think.." But no one, and I mean NO ONE, told me post-graduate life was going to be this tough. Everyone always told me, "Just get the degree, everything comes after that." or "Just make sure you get that college degree!"
When, in fact, I have been applying for jobs for at least upwards to 60 jobs.

Not one call back, not one email back, except those who say
"After careful review we have decided to go with a candidate with MORE EXPERIENCE."

What I get out of this is, even though I worked so hard, and spent thousands upon thousands of dollars for a piece of paper that says I'm qualified for this job, you want more experience? Because, ya know, a degree from an accredited university, is simply, not enough.

It. Is. Frustrating.


Since I am unemployed, I have culminated a list of things I like to call...

"Things a Unemployed, 23 year-old male College Graduate should know."

1. The laptop gets really hot underneath, and it gets uncomfortable for a certain body part.
-Also, with my time well wasted, I read an article on the Internet that said it could be "Very damaging" to those certain body parts. My advice: Look for work with caution.

2. Go outside.
-Yes, Do it. Just go outside. Do something. Especially if you're lucky enough to be unemployed in, quite possibly the best time of the year (fall), go enjoy it!

3. There is only so much stress you can have.
-Find a stress reliever. Working out, running, volunteering, whatever. Just stay away from the alcohol, you don't need to turn that into a every day stress reliever when you're trying to find work.

4. Designate a few hours a day to job searching, not 24.
-Don't look at the same job boards all day long.
"But what if they post one, I want to be there to see it."
No, no you don't. Relax. If you job search for 2 hours in the morning, and 2 hours in the afternoon, you will catch it, don't worry. Looking all day, every day will just get more frustrating.

5. Time management, it's not only for employed people.
-Yes, most of my points are about how to manage your time (and really, who wants to read about how I know exactly how long to cook a oven-pizza, know exactly how long the washer needs to run to remove a stain, and how many brush strokes it takes to sweep the living room floor clean?) but it's true. Just because you have nothing to do every day, doesn't mean you cant do something every day. Remember, every day is a blessing, and there is a blessing in every day.

6. Remember, tomorrow is a new day.
-Faith, is always rewarded. Jeremiah 29:11

That's it for now, guys. I cant say it was good, but it didn't cost ya nothin'.

Later.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
-Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment