Monday, March 5, 2012

No Excuses

I love the title of this post. I better make it a good one huh?

No, actually, this is probably going to be a short and sweet post. Just a little update-r on my life and things.

Well, I have been totally transformed by the spotlight on a recent sportscenter on Saturday morning. It was the story of Kyle Maynard, a 25 year old quadrapelgic at birth, who has overcome just about every obstacle that has been set in front of him.

As a healthy, full bodied soon-to-be 24 year old male, I couldnt stand the sight of the videos of him struggling to do some of things I do everyday. It was a message of guilt. I was not respecting my own body enough to watch someone struggle with there's, which is half of what I was blessed with.

In the video, Kyle climbs Mt. Kilamanjaro. One of the tallest mountains in the world. Something, at my current state, that I could only dream of doing.


Kyle Maynard

The message was No excuses. So, today, is the day I stop making excuses for anything. Why am I letting mental blocks take me away from what I want the most? Why do I set my alarm for 5 a.m., but end up waking up at 6:30 a.m.? Why am I always saying "Tomorrow night I'll work out." Or "Tomorrow I'll start eating healthy." Or "Tomorrow, I'll really start treating my girlfrined like the princess she is." Or "Why on earth do I see it a chore to walk my dog and give her a year's worth of happiness for 15 minutes of walking?"

There is, literally, no one stopping me. No one is beside me, or in front of me, saying I cant do something. So, Why am I stopping myself?

In other news, this week is a pretty big one for me.

I've got a lunch on Friday with the VP of our Treasury Management department. Mostly, it's just lunch, but it could turn into a promotion if I mind my P's and Q's. (Edit: Does anyone actually know what P's and Q's are? I dont. It's just a saying.)

I do not want to come into this over confident, at all. I have to realize I've only been witht he company for 4 months. Also, I'm young, and fresh out of college. The treasury department is mostly reserved for those who have/are making it in the Banking industry.

I, Also, do not want to go into this weak, and bland. I am original. I am a talent. and I am determined to do whatever it takes to make myself better (edit: See Resume...aka My entire life). I'm just naturally a quietly confident person.

In the end, the least acceptable outcome from this lunch that I want for myself is that feeling of "I tried". The one that says, "Hey, you know what, I gave it my absolute best shot, and at least he knows I'm determined to get where I want." Who knows, maybe one day My kids will be reading this blog and see this. I'd hope they'd be proud.

As for this weekend, it looks like another busy one. Friday night we go to Ft. Worth to see Wesley's former co-worker and her husband for dinner and drinks. Downside, We will have to come back becuase I volunteered for a company "Pick up the Park" day. It's at Reverchon Park downtown, a park that isnt regularly picked up by the city. I figured with everything PCB has given me, it's the least I could do. And Saturday Night looks like we'll be traveling to Weatherford to see Wesley's Parents. Haven't seen them in a long time, so It'll be nice! Hopefully, we get to go see some Tech Baseball as they play TCU in Ft. Worth. Should be a good series, and here's to our boys coming out on top.

Alright, I said it would be short but I have ONE more thing I want to do. I'm not at all a very religious person. I am a believer in Jesus Christ, God and Heaven. But I keep my feelings towards that somewhat internally. With that said, I'm not a believer in making someone listen to a prayer, or read it in this case. But I am a believer in counting your blessing. So, from now on, I will end every post with a count of my blessings. of course, that could be a list that ends very long, so I will try to limit what I type, but just know there isnt a blog post long enough to put every blessing in my life.

So, here it goes.

I thank God for these blessings:

The Current Texas weather
My parents, for all they do for me.
My sister, although we dont see eye to eye, she knows I stand beside her.
My coffee this morning, without you this day would have been probably harder to start.
My truck, although you know it's your cut day anyday now, you keep on tickin'. Thanks Sandy.
My boss, Corey Mark, for making things extrmemely tough on me, but being very patient with me.
My job, sometimes it can be boring, but it is a blessing in disguise.
And of course, My girlfriend Wesley, and My Dog GG, who fill my life with so much happiness.

Alright guys, That's all for now. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment